INTENTIONS - Spoken Word - Rae Burton, Music - David Arellano

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NAMES

Did you ever think about what happens when you change your name?
Nothing, you say, except for the DMV and credit card name & address changes. Just a bunch of paper work. It happens to almost every woman, at some time or other. Getting married, or divorced. Or just deciding to change your name. Sounds simple... huhnn. It is simple to do, but repercussions may result.
The first time I changed my name I was too young to notice anything.My mother had remarried and so I began to use my stepfathers name, but at the same time I dropped my hated first name and from then on used my middle name. Legally I was still my birth name. Thru my marriage and divorce and those psych changes....... About 10 years after my divorce, I legally changed back to my birth name. But still used my middle name for everyday use. I noticed changes after this name change, but nothing to talk about. It seemed to be a very comforting change for me, and made me wonder about the psych health of making a woman change her birth name to her husbands name. What hidden repercussions accompany this change?
The most recent change was this past jan when I was admitted to the hosp directly from the drs office.
I ended up being admitted with my birth name. Nurses commented on my name.Everyone had something to say about it.
I got to thinking about it. I believe that my birth name is me. Its who I am and who I have been all my life. An accumulation of all those years and all those happenings. It suddenly dawned on me... wow, I have denied a part of me, and hated that part of me all these years. Quite an eye opener, and something to think about.
I was at a life changing crossroad in my life , so I thot, well, why not? Everything else is changing in my life.
I'll just go with it, and see what happens. So I am drawing all the disparate parts of me in together. And we are all learning how to live together, in love, consideration, and respect for each other. Altho I will say, this new-old part of me is a little mouthy at times. (But I love her anyway)
Oh yes, and my full birth name is...........

This is Ollie Rae Burton saying check out your 'real' name.

No comments: